The reveal!

 The next step was the exciting step of seeing actual changes in the house and starting to take out the wall between the kitchen and dinning room!  It was also nerve wracking in terms of what I was going to find under the wall (and how much it may cost to fix an unexpected issue!).  The archways turned out to be inserts that were made out of OSB.  


Luckily, no major surprises after tearing into the wall... except my anxiety was building about if I was cutting out a load bearing wall or not so I hired a structural engineer to do an evaluation.  His statement was that the wall was not intended to be a structural wall, but that after almost 100 years of settling and all of the prior renovations that had been done, that it was functionally a structural wall and needed a structural beam in stalled.  


So after looking at the process of installing the structural beam and everything else that would be needed, I ended up needing to take out the remainder of the lathe and plaster on that wall.  I have developed a deep distain for cutting out lath and plaster secondary to all the dust that permeates everything!!!  All of the demo that was done filled up two 9 cubic yard dumpsters!!


And... Lewis came out to Denver to help with a huge section of this process!  
























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The first of many surprises... a new subfloor

The chimney...

Origination of the Renovation idea